14 July 2009

Treasures in Penang 10 - 12 July 2009

1. The Volunteers
A quote from the Movie Pearl Harbour by the British who were talking about two American volunteer fighter pilots who had come to fly their planes and fight on the British side in 2nd World War although they did not had to, "There is nothing more dangerous than a heart of a volunteer".
And my heart goes to our 20 volunteers who made the Penang BINGKAS a memorable experience. You are in a class of your own! You braved the journey, and harsh accommodation. You tolerated the antics of the kids. You made the best out of the situattion. You bond and treasure new friendship. You took all the hardship as challenges and prevailed. You shared laughters and tears and learned. Bravo!

I found hidden treasures in many of you in Penang!

2. The Color of Balik Pulau
Sekolah Keb Pulau Betong is at the tip end of south western side of Penang. Driving pass rustic town of Balik Pulau through scenic kampungs, you would be wowed with abundance of fruit trees and rainbow of colors - rambutan(yellow and red), durian(green and brown, manggo(blue, green, yellow, red), mangostein(purple and black), longan, coconut, pineapple, etc. The pickles - manggo, papaya, kedondong, etc - are the best!

I found a hidden treasure in Penang!

3. The Hotel
I arrived in Penang in late afternoon. I was greeted by a guy and told me that the room was ready and left on a motorbike. Upon entering the door, I made my way thru a flight of staircase. No one was in, and the first two doors were locked. Braved myself and walked thru the corridor to the last room.The door was ajar! The airconditioning was running and TV was on standby. A quick phone call to the guy who left on motorbike confirmed the room was for me and told me that the keys were by the TV. Settled myself in and rushed for a quick shower. There was no other soul except for me and my friend who took another room next to mine. We went to Sekolah Pulau Betong after heavy rain stop. After a long 2nd night program came to end, we made our way back to the hotel. I unlocked the main entrance(someone must have locked it after we left) and climbed the staircase. No one else except two of us! This Upih Inn was unique! It reminded me of Hotel California by the Eagles - "you can check in anytime you like, but you can never leave", except that you can leave anytime you like at your fancy.

I found a hidden treasure in Penang!

4. The People of Pulau Betong

I found treasures in Penang!

5. The kids of kampung Pulau Betong
I found treasures in Penang!
Check this out!http://www.hmetro.com.my/Current_News/myMetro/Monday/Setempat/20090713060047/Article/index_html

6. The rain and wind

I found treasures in Penang!

No comments:

Post a Comment